Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday's writings in Bend, OR

I am currently sitting on the second floor of the public library in Bend, OR. I woke up this morning to NO electricity!! It was also snowing and overcast. YIKES, it was cold! Bend is about 25 miles east of Sisters, and the further I drove the sunnier it became :-). After a tour of Bend (a nice way of saying I kinda got lost, but not too lost) I ended up at this library. I hung out here for a bit, then went and walked the city. Now that my 2.5 hour walk is finished, I am ready to rest inside for a bit.
So, you ask, how was my first two days on the ranch? Spifferillo :-). The first day I was called a volunteer, then yesterday I got "upgraded" to be an intern :-). How do ya like that?! I have been hanging around the Greeter for the most part. They meet and greet each person that walks up the hill to the entrance of the ranch. Each person must sign a legal document before entering the ranch, and while they do that we chat and help them feel welcome and special. They then are paired up with their sessions leader. There are 3 sessions each day that last 1.5 hours each. There may be 3-4 children at each one of the session times. It is an individual one-on-one time with a leader, child and horse. First they participate in a chore. That may be anything from weeding, planting flowers (neither of those yet) or picking up sticks, manure, horse hair, writing thank you notes, etc. Then they pick out a horse and groom them. After that they go to one of the corrals and have a "riding lesson". The emphasis of the whole time is not a riding lesson, but a one on one time with a leader who listens, talks, and shares smiles, hope, love, and/or whatever the Lord leads.
Yesterday was way cool because I had the privilege of seeing one of the people that Kim wrote about in her book! She was one of the young ladies who had not spoken any words because of her handicap, but after spending time with the horses has begun expressing verbally and also with facial expressions! As I listened to the staff member tell a tour group the story behind the young lady it moved my heart with prayer and praise for the wonderful staff that was working with her as well as for the love of Jesus that was so evidently portrayed in the young ladies life as well.
I have met and personally greeted a few of the horses. Tomahawk, Phoenix, Teva, Hero and another horse that starts with "E" and I can't remember her name!. In fact, on Thursday I was able (with the help of Sarah) to lead this beautiful horse from one corral to another :-). Way cool!! I think the staff is a little amused by my lack of horse knowledge--but for sure they are all so friendly and helpful! The environment here is definitely informal--and that is so different than the corporate world I am used to. It will take some getting used too--but I am looking forward to "figuring out how" :-).
My official training begins either next week, or the following week--depending on scheduling. I will be "assigned" a mentor and will be working with her each day to learn from her about horses and how to work with the children during a session time.
Never having been around horses so close before I am in wonder and awed. What stunning and exquisite creatures! At first they all looked the same, but after just two days I am able to see different markings, facial features, body shapes and sizes, and eye coloring. I think their eye lashes are cute :-).
So far I have hung out with some of the parents, played with children, picked up dog manure (one of the chores :-) ), picked up branches (a man came and pruned their trees), moved pallets from inside the barn to outside (YEAH some physical labor!!!), taken tours with a staff member, and have begun the learning process of how the ranch functions.
How am I doing physically, emotionally, spiritually? Physically--super. Judy is a wonderful cook--everything I have eaten I have liked! Emotionally--I have my ups and downs. I am so grateful for the phone I got before I left--my Mom and I have had some good talkings! I still haven't adjusted to the 3 hour time change, so I am going to bed very late (like 11:00 - 1:00 a.m.) and getting up anywhere from 5:00 - 6:30 a.m. Each day I can stay up a bit later and sleep in a bit later....so that is good! Tears seem to be at the surface most of the time--not because I wish I was somewhere else, but because of all the changes and adjustments. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is different! Living with people instead of living alone, living in the city instead of the country, not having my "house", the temperature extremes, the art of getting "lost" just about every time I go out, not knowing where to purchase items....I am sure you get the idea. None of these are bad--it's just all so new. Frankly, I don't even know where Highway 20 is that I need to get on to get back to Sisters! I am getting real good at asking people--saves the "tours" :-). Sometimes all of this adds up to a time of tears. Spiritually--I am spending much time in prayer and in the Scripture. Since there are no humans close enough to reach out too in a physical way, I am reaching out to my Heavenly Father. I must, or I will either implode or explode. Yes, I have great hosts, yes I can call my family/friends on the phone...but it is NOT the same as reaching out and REALLY touching someone! Just today after I "got lost" and couldn't even find a coffee shop or a restaurant to eat breakfast/lunch I cried (literally and then verbally) out to Him for help and comfort. I think I circled Bend 2 times--and then a very nice lady at Barnes and Noble gave me directions to this library. It was the Lord's provision for me! I am sure she was a little confused with my tears as I asked for directions--but she instead of just verbally telling me how to get here she was so kind and wrote them out--turn by turn! The Lord has had just such people at the just the right places to help me get "unlost" or even to give friendly smiles as I walk down the street. I have been working on memorizing Psalm 121. Vs 5 says "The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand [the side not carrying a shield]." Isn't that way cool?! Vs 7-8 says: "The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore". I am holding on to these promises.
Something else that brings great comfort is knowing of all the prayer support from my family, my church family, and many others. I KNOW and sense these--because I can see how my way has been guided, protected, and little joys experienced along the way. I thank each one of you for time spent in prayer for me!
Once I get into the full swing of ranch work and getting settled into a church and begin making new friends I believe my "ups and downs" will smooth out. Like I told my Mom today--in a way it seems like I have been here awhile--but in reality it has been less than a week! Yes, I must be patient with myself too :-).
The mountains, buttes, and landscape is pure bliss and delight for my eyes and heart. The "monster" trucks and four wheel drives are cool too!! I have seen quite a few "classic" cars, and a few motorcycles (brrr) as well.
Well, if you have successfully followed today's blog then you are doing great! Hopefully I have given you a good picture of my life and what is happening so far.
Keep smilin' and lookin' to Jesus with me today! Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever! Jesus is the same in Michigan and in Oregon! What a sure and solid foundation we have. Rejoice with me as each of us listens, obeys and enjoys the adventure He has us on wherever we are!

P.S. Did you know it is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon? OOPS!! :-) Learned that one the "hard way". Did you know that it is the law that traffic MUST stop for anyone wanting to cross the road at any time or place?

2 comments:

Taunya Rosenquist said...

:)Enjoy getting to know those horses! Will pray for you that you will feel comfortable with your suroundings sooner than later. HE not only is Your "King of Glory" but also your "Prince of Peace!"
Have a great weekend settling and resting!

Anonymous said...

How nice the comfort of "familiar" is! I am glad that you are still growing and learning. I am still praying for you! Andrew is very anxious for pictures of what it looks like there! Thanks for painting pictures with words, and explaining your ups and downs. We all have those, just in our own unique ways!
Love you!